Sections of several highways in Edgecombe and Nash counties will be resurfaced over the next year.
The N.C. Department of Transportation this month approved a $4.6 million contract with Barnhill Contracting Co. of Rocky Mount to resurface almost 39 miles in the Twin Counties. The work includes:
- N.C. 231 between the U.S. 264 Bypass and N.C. 97
- N.C. 581 between the Wilson County line and the U.S. 264 Bypass in Bailey
- N.C. 43 between N.C. 48 and Woodruff Road
- N.C. 48 between U.S. 301 Business and N.C. 43
- N.C. 97 between N.C. 58 and Nashville Road
- U.S. 64 Business between East Grand Avenue and Pinehurst Street
- U.S. 301 Business between the railroad tracks and N.C. 97
Additionally, Barnhill will repave 11 secondary roads in Nash County.
The contractor may start after Aug. 1, and the company has until December 2019 to complete the work.
This was one of 25 road and bridge contracts recently awarded by NCDOT. Per state law, they went to the lowest qualified bidder for each project. The contracts are worth nearly $630 million.